“The Meeting Room”, the new park installation in Queen Anne Square, was commissioned by the Doris Duke Monument Foundation, an offshoot
of the Newport Restoration Foundation, and designed by artist Maya Lin in collaboration with Edwina von Gal and Nick Benson of the
John Stevens Shop. The title of which conveys the intent: to create spaces that invite a spirit of gathering and community and to
provide a place of quiet imagination in the midst of the city. The park design centers on three stacked stone foundations, which
represent actual locations and footprints of buildings which existed on the site during three different centuries: 1777, 1876, and 1907.